May 5, 1909 – North Park gained its own jurisdiction as Jackson County in 1909, supposedly named after President Andrew Jackson. Walden became Jackson’s county seat, and is the only incorporated municipality in the county.
1911 – The Laramie, Hahn’s Peak, and Pacific (LHPP) Railroad was extended from Laramie, Wyoming, via the Centennial Valley, to the towns of Walden and Coalmont by 1911, finally offering an economical (“cheap”) way to transport minerals, cattle and other freight out of and into North Park. Experiencing financial problems and a number of name changes from 1907 through 1951, the LHPP was bought out by the Union Pacific Railroad in 1951. The entire line from Laramie, Wyoming through Walden to Coalmont has since been abandoned.
1926 – The first oil well in Jackson County was hit in 1926, establishing the North McCallum Oil Field. By 1960, the field was producing 2.5 million dollars’ worth of oil annually, but has since declined in production.
1930s – Commercial lumbering was a major contributor to North Park’s economy from the mid-1930s to the mid-1980s, when the Michigan River Timber Company left Jackson County.
1967 – The 23,464-acre Arapaho Wildlife Refuge was established in Walden.
1978 – Colorado state wildlife experts transplanted 24 male and female moose from Wyoming and Utah to create a breeding population in North Park and provide hunting opportunities.
1995 – The Colorado State Legislature declared Walden the “Moose Viewing Capital of Colorado.”